Friday, January 11, 2008

SURGICAL EXPECTATIONS

SURGICAL EXPECTATIONS

Before we left Houston, Dr. Abdalla gave us a packet of information giving details of how to prepare for surgery, what to expect, what will happen the day of surgery, immediately after surgery, what happens after surgery and what I must do toward my own recovery. I want to share it with you so you will also know what to expect…and where you can focus your prayers. The information is very detailed, but I will try to keep it short and understandable!

PREPARING FOR SURGERY

Right now, my part of the preparation is to eat protein-rich foods as part of my balanced diet. I am also trying to get enough rest, even though sleeping has been a challenge of late!

On January 24, I must undergo all the tests again: blood work, EKG, CT scan, chest x-rays, so the doctors have the latest images to work with. I will see the doctors the next day, Friday. Saturday will be my “day off,” so we are planning to visit the museum again. (I really want to see those sculptures again!)

Sunday will be another “fun” day, since I have to clear my colon for surgery. That day I will have only clear liquids and laxatives. Mmm, mmm, good!

OPERATION DAY: PRE-OP

I haven’t received the actual appointment time yet. I probably won’t get that until after I see the doctors Friday, but it will probably be early. Once I arrive at the hospital holding area, I have to get into one of those breezy little gowns we all know and love!

They will monitor my blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen saturation, so I will have the blood pressure cuff, electrodes and the glowing red “ET phone home” finger clamp. Fluids and the initial “sleepy juice” will be introduced through an IV in my hand. Abraham will be in the holding area with me until they actually take me into the operating room.

IN THE OPERATING ROOM

Once in OR, the will transfer me to the operating table to finish sedating me. My arms and legs will be secured. Once I am out, they will entubate me, start a larger IV in my carotid artery and place protective lubricant in my eyes. (The carotid IV will remain until I can actually drink enough fluids.)

Up to this point, the prep is expected to take a couple of hours. The actual operation is expected to last four hours or so.

While I am sedated, they will place an epidural catheter to deliver pain medication directly to my spine. It will be taped into place so I can move around. According to the anesthesiologist, it will address the pain without making me so loopy or knocking me out completely. I will have a button to dispense the medication as I need it.

I will also have a Foley catheter to constantly drain urine and one of three different contraptions to prevent blood clots in my legs. After the catheters and several drainage tubes have been placed, they will bring me out of sedation.

23-HOUR OBSERVATION

Once I leave OR, I will not go to a regular recovery room. Instead, I will be closely monitored in the 23-hour observation unit for, guess how many hours…23! During that time, Abraham will be able to visit me in limited increments.

CELEBRATING OUR ANNIVERSARY…BY MOVING TO MY HOSPITAL ROOM?

We will celebrate our 8th anniversary on January 29 by moving from observation to a room where I will enjoy the delights of a clear liquid diet for three days.

To prevent lung infections, I have to do breathing exercises every six minutes! And I have to cough three times an hour. With a huge incision just above my diaphragm! Woo hoo! They suggest hugging a pillow over the staples when I cough. Newsflash: Not a lot of help! Coughing in March 2006 with 50 staples zipping my belly shut was not easy—even with the pillow!

POST-OP DAY ONE
• The dressing on my incision will be removed.
• I will start drinking clear liquids. (By now it has probably been more than 48 hours since I “ate” my last clear liquid!)
• I will walk the hall three times and sit in a chair (no time length specified).
• While in bed, I will wear the gadget boots that prevent blood clots.
POST-OP DAY TWO
• As I am able to drink more fluids, the volume of IV liquids will be reduced.
• I get to sit in the chair longer than Day One.
• If I will walk the hall three times daily, I can ditch the gadget boots. Yea!!
POST-OP DAY THREE
• If I can tolerate it, I can start a regular diet. Bring it on! Remember, the last day I had solid food was Sunday morning—FIVE days ago!
• I get to sit in the chair even longer and walk as much as possible.
POST-OP DAY FOUR
• Continue breathing exercises and walking.
• I must eat frequent small high-protein meals (4-6 daily).
• I will begin the transition from the IV pain meds to the oral meds.
• I may be able to ditch the Foley catheter.
POST-OP DAY FIVE
• Continue breathing exercises and walking.
• Continue eating 4-6 small high-protein meals daily.
• I will finish the transition from the IV pain meds to the oral meds.
• IV fluids will be stopped, but the IV access will remain.
• We’ll talk about going home (to the hotel).
POST-OP DAY SIX
• Continue breathing exercises and walking.
• Continue eating 4-6 small high-protein meals daily.
• The drain tubes will be removed.
POST-OP DAY SEVEN
• Continue breathing exercises and walking.
• Continue eating 4-6 small high-protein meals daily.
• IV will be completely removed.
• Get discharge prescriptions and instructions and schedule one week appointment.
• Relocate to the hotel.
I’LL BE READY TO LEAVE THE HOSPITAL WHEN I CAN:
• Walk and sit.
• Eat my regular diet.
• Go to the bathroom or pass gas.
• Control the pain with oral meds.
• Care for the wound (lots of experience with that).
As long as I do not have fever and Dr. Abdalla believes I am ready, I will be able to leave the hospital.

THE WEEK IN THE HOTEL

The week in the hotel will be like the last few days at the hospital. I have to sit, walk, eat, drink, potty, change the dressing on the wound, monitor my vital signs and check my temperature. And, let’s hope I can sleep!

ONE WEEK POST-DISCHARGE APPOINTMENT

Seven days after leaving the hospital, I will return to see Dr. Abdalla. He will check the incision and make sure I am ready to travel. If all is well, we will be able to leave. If he thinks I’m not ready, we will have to stay longer…maybe another week. We won’t know until then.

QUITE AN ORDEAL!

It will be quite an ordeal for both of us. Abraham has already planned to pack his timer so he can coach me on the breathing and coughing exercises! Even though it will be challenging, we both believe it will be worth it for the increased opportunity to be cancer-free.

Just so you know, my “sitting” exercises will be performed while typing updates to keep you all informed!

Mary and Abraham

No comments: