Sunday, January 27, 2008

GOOD NEWS FROM THE DOCTOR!

A THIRD OPTION FOR SURGERY

Previously, the doctor listed an option A and an option B. Option A was two operations. The first would remove the diseased tissue from the right lobe of my liver and clot the hepatic artery, directing all the blood to the remnant of the right lobe to accelerate regeneration. A month later, I would return and have the diseased portion of the left lobe removed. That was called the Gold Standard.

Option B would remove the same portion of the right lobe and only the bottom portion of the left lobe in one operation.

Friday, he mentioned a third option. He told us that once he has made the incision he is going to look around. Then he will perform and ultrasound scan of my liver to reveal anything that may be there that the other tests did not show. Depending on what he finds, and if my liver is healthy enough, he could remove all the diseased tissue in one operation. With this option C, we would get the Gold Standard in one operation! This would be great!

I believe that my liver is healthy enough. I am asking you all to agree with us that everything works for option C.

SURGICAL SCHEDULE

I am to report for pre-op prep tomorrow at 9 a.m. I don’t know exactly how long it will take. I have to get my pretty little ID bracelet and get into the gown with the flow-through ventilation. They have to start an IV and I’m not sure what else before they take me to OR.

• Once I am in OR, they will:
• Use the first IV to knock me out while they finish the prep
• Place the epidural catheter (for pain management) in my back
• Place the Foley catheter to collect urine
• Secure my arms and legs to keep me still
• Start another IV in my carotid artery or jugular vein for delivery of fluids
• Entubate me so I can breathe
• Then fully anesthetize me for the operation itself

All that will take time, I just don’t know exactly how much.

Next, the doctor will begin the incision, a process that will, in itself, take 45 minutes. Once the incision is made, everything is retracted and the area is prepped, he can finally start his inspection of my inner most parts. After looking around, he will perform the ultrasound scan of my liver.

Based on what he sees in his inspection and in the ultrasound, he will finally decide which option he wants to pursue and begin to work on my liver. He said the procedure will be a minimum of four hours. When he is finished with whatever he does, they have to clean the area, close me up, staple the new addition to my abdominal roadmap, and “wake me up.” I am not sure how conscious I will be in the 23-hour recovery.

PRAYER FOCUS

Tomorrow I will need your prayers.

• It can be very hard to find my veins for the first IV, so please pray that the person doing it gets it the first time, no digging around.
• Please pray specifically that Jesus guides Dr. Abdalla's hands during surgery,
• Pease pray that the Holy Spirit tangibly fills the operating room and keeps the entire surgical team focused and sharp.
• Please pray that all the surgical equipment functions properly.
• Pease pray that the Holy Spirit tangibly fills the 23-hour recovery room and keeps the entire recovery team focused and sharp.
• Please pray that all the recovery equipment functions properly.
• Pease pray that the Holy Spirit tangibly fills my hospital room and keeps the entire nursing team focused and sharp.
• Please pray that all the monitoring and IV equipment functions properly.
• Please pray that I have a painless, infection-free recovery.
• Please pray that Abraham is able to rest and stays well and strong because I will definitely need his help!

Abraham and I thank you so much for your prayers. I will update as soon as possible!

Mary and Abraham


Find me on MySpace and be my friend!



No comments: