Sunday, March 16, 2008

LAST TRIP TO HOUSTON!

FINAL OPERATION TO BE CANCER-FREE!

One week from today, we will leave Fort Worth for what we hope will be our last visit to Houston. I will have the last operation in the series of procedures I have undergone to be cancer-free. That goal has kept me going!

A MONTH OF SILENCE…

It has been one month since I updated this blog because it has been that long since I felt strong enough to do it! The radiologist who performed the procedure said I “might have a few flu-like symptoms” resulting from that part of the liver “getting angry” because the blood supply had been cut off.

PVE HARDER ON ME THAN THE FIRST BIG OPERATION!

The PVE was not a big procedure, but it has been harder for me to recover from it, than it was for me to recover from removing 80% of my liver. Imagine that! Even before we left the hospital, I was having trouble. I had begun to have muscle spasms in my back where the puncture wound was (where they inserted the needle). They gave me Valium to relax those muscles so I could sleep overnight in the hospital.

We spent one night in the hospital, then spent the second night in the hotel, hoping that we could sleep and be more rested for the trip home the next day. I had a really hard time finding a position that was comfortable enough for sleep. We had a mountain of pillows stacked on my side of the bed so I could sit slightly reclined. It was a rough night.

The trip home was rather uncomfortable for the same reasons. It was difficult to find a comfortable position. Upon arrival home, we unpacked the necessities only, showered and tried to get some sleep. I was taking medication for the pain and Valium trying to prevent the muscles spasms in my back. Abraham said I got sick to my stomach. I don’t remember that happening.

FINALLY STARTING TO FEEL BETTER

I have had a few brief energy spurts this week and took care of things that must be addressed promptly. Monday, I reconciled our bank statement. I did our taxes Tuesday and Wednesday during my energy spurts. Today was the first day that I have felt good enough to do much of anything for more than just an hour.

A PLEA FOR ADDITIONAL HELP

I am pleased to tell you that my insurance company has reimbursed us for some of the expenses incurred on the previous trips. We used the reimbursement from the Jan-Feb trip to pay for the PVE trip. But—even with the reimbursements—we still need about $1000 toward the hotel bill, copays, gas and food for the trip next week.

It pains me to have to ask for your help, but we have nowhere else to turn. If you thought about helping us before but, for some reason didn’t, please take a moment to do it now. You can click the “Chip In” link on the right to make a donation using a debit or credit card. Or you can mail your check payable to Mary L. Weeks-Ayala Medical Donations Account to:

Mary L. Weeks-Ayala Medical Donations Account
c/o Frost Bank
5561 Bryant Irvin Road
Fort Worth, TX 76132


There is no way to thank you for helping to save my life. Your help is deeply appreciated!

SCHEDULE FOR THE NEXT TRIP…

We will leave Fort Worth Sunday morning (3/23) to give us time to get settled into our room at the Rotary House. Monday (3/24), I have appointments for all the diagnostic tests: blood work, x-rays and another CT scan. Tuesday (3/25), we will see Dr. Abdalla and the anesthesiologist. Wednesday (3/26), is the day of the operation, but I won’t know what time exactly until Tuesday afternoon. I will email everyone to let them know. Now that we know what to expect and have worked out some of the issues with the medications, I expect this hospital stay to be shorter than after the first operation. I hope to be home around April 7 or 8.

Without your prayers and financial assistance, I would not be here. Abraham and I thank you.

Mary and Abraham

No comments: